Monday 16 January 2012

16 Jan - What a way to make a living

I am sure I've used this title before but doesn't Dolly Parton just say it all. I could go for 9 - 5 but I usually work about 7:50 to 4:50 and that just isn't quite as catchy...

Segway.

I try not to write about my job all that often on the internet and this is for two main reasons:

a) I admit that i use the internet to vent and venting about work on the internet is the last thing you want to do. Having "I didn't mean it like that" conversations because you forgot to put a kiss on the end of your friend's @ reply is one thing, but I draw the line at a disciplinary for the sake of unwinding at the end of the day.

b) I am one of those people who stews over things in the middle of the night regardless of whether I have tried to bring my work home with me or not. The curse of having acute anxiety problems is that your brain does tend to decide for itself when it wants to remind you of all the things you could have done better at work that particular week.

However, today I am making an exception because I got a really good phone call from my line manager Nicola. After working as a part time substantive member of staff for 3 years and 4 months, and then filling in my extra hours with agency work since May 2011, I have finally got what I have desired for a long time... I am now a full time substantive communications officer for NSFT.

On a day when I was feeling down for various yawn-inducing reasons, Nicola's call officially offering me... well... my own job essentially, was a good reminder about why I don't sit on the computer and moan about it every evening: because I help make a difference to people's lives, I respect my colleagues and I do a good job... hopefully!

No comments: